Enjoy this versatile dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner, served with a green salad.
Refrigerate the slices for up to 3 days, or freeze them for up to a month.
The slices can be easily re-heated as a quick meal when you are on the run.
- 1 kg (2,2 lb) ground grass-fed beef
- 12 large free-range, pastured eggs
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- sea salt to taste
- Optional: 1 cup of grated cheese (cheddar, gouda or mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a large loaf pan with grass-fed butter. Set aside.
- Thoroughly rinse the head of broccoli and cut up into florets. Slice the big florets in half.
- Steam the broccoli florets for 5 minutes in an electric steamer, or a steamer pot.
- While the broccoli is steaming, heat the coconut oil in a large pot, until melted. Never allow any cooking oils or fat to smoke.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pot and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the ground beef and mix with a fork until browned.
- Remove pot from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, turmeric, mixed herbs, black pepper and salt to taste.
- With a large spoon, combine the steamed broccoli and whisked eggs with the cooked beef and onion.
- Transfer all the contents of the pot to the greased loaf pan.
- Optional: sprinkle with grated cheese if you are not dairy-intolerant.
- Bake the loaf for 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven, or until the eggs are cooked through.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool down for a couple of minutes before removing from the pan.
- Slice the loaf to desired thickness.